Friday, January 28, 2011

It Would Be You

 Dear Neighbors:

Today's blog is brought to you by My Train Of Thought. Which goes a little something like this:

While getting ready for work, I was thinking about how Valentines Day is coming up and that, of course, we have to celebrate it at work (we'll be celebrating it in my Singlehood as well -- just you wait).  Kids in elementary school still want class parties for every occasion. So I thought about my previous ventures in origami and decided to look up an easy origami pattern for a Valentines card holder to do as a class project. Then I remembered that a friend of mine will be celebrating his third wedding anniversary on the 15th. Then I got a little irritated thinking that as much as I would like to call and wish him the best, I don't hear from him much anymore. I hear from him when he wants to tell me about his wife or his kid, but he hasn't wished me a happy birthday since, well, the second year of her, and is it a little weird on my part to want to wish my friends the best on their happy days when they don't take the time to do the same for me anymore? If I acknowledge all of their special days, I'm also acknowledging the lack of acknowledgment of mine (I'll give you a minute to catch up -- note to self: what the hell did I just say?).

And this is the heart, if you will, of my blog. I'm finally able to articulate exactly why it is that I'm hurt and heartbroken when my "friends" go off to Coupleland and leave me behind. The friend I mentioned had told me that he dropped most of his friends because he didn't need them. "She's my best friend now." What he, and other ridiculous coupled people don't realize is this -- you may not need your friends anymore, but they might need you. 

So, Ridiculous Coupled People (you're only RCP if you've dumped your friends for your new relationships), why don't you think about the friends you abandoned when you met The One (or This One)? Think about all the time and effort that goes into a friendship. The late night phone calls, the spur-of-the-moment adventures, and the secrets that no one else knows. Now take it all away. That's why I'm hurt. That's where my heartbreak comes from. It's hurtful to be cast aside each and every time my friends decide that they're in love. The RCP's might think that it's my fault, because I've changed since they met The One. I haven't changed -- you have. You don't call anymore. You don't want to get together unless you can bring The One. If we do get together, you spend the entire time either talking about him/her or texting him/her. You think I've changed because I don't want to spend our entire time together talking about your new love.  I don't need to be reminded that I'm not important to you anymore because you show me every time you piss on our friendship. Or our former friendship, anyway. I used to have friends I could talk to about anything. Now I have friends who won't make time to be a friend anymore. Unless, of course, they're throwing a GGE. I'm a very popular GGE invitee.



As for the song, maybe it wasn't a woman who broke his heart. Maybe it was a friend.

Down With The RCP's!

D

2 comments: