Friday, July 16, 2010

No, YOU Rock!!

Dear Neighbors:

Yes, I'm aware that I complain a great deal about insensitive married people. The reason why is because they're insensitive. I can't explain it any better than that. But I'm willing to concede that I have some great married friends. Not many, but just enough. So here's tribute to those friends and I'd like to call it...

Why My Married Friends Rock

1. Tag Team Advice
Men and women are great at giving advice as a team. Christine's husband Derrick has been in love with her his entire adult life, but can still relate to my dating follies. In general, men are fantastic sounding boards. They don't offer advice with a side of bullshit, and they won't sugar coat the truth. If the truth hurts, Christine will provide the band-aid. See? Teamwork.

2. They've Been There
There's nothing new on the dating front, and if I'm going through it, I can usually find a married friend who's been there as well. They've successfully completed Dating 101 (the final involved a ring and a marriage license), so they're a valuable resource. They know how to get from single to coupled in only four thousand, three hundred and eight easy steps. When they're not sure what to say, however, that's when they fall back on the Platitudes.

3. They Care!
They care enough that they'll sacrifice a little time with each other to talk me through a breakup, pick me up when a date ditches me, or go out with me if my plans have been canceled and I can't stay home -- again. They'll scope a guy out for me and give him a "yay", "nay" or "just f___ him and move on".

4. They Dig The TMI Questions
  • Is it normal and does it happen all the time? (no)
  • He hasn't called. Should I call him? (no)
  • Is it because I did? (probably)
  • Is it because I didn't? (probably)
  • Why does it do that? (because that's what it does)
  • What the hell was that? (no one knows)
  • How do I do that? (use two hands)
  • Should it smell like that? (only if it's good)
  • Does it always feel like this? (only if it's good)

Thanks, Christine and Derrick!

D

No comments:

Post a Comment