Friday, July 23, 2010

E-Bullshit

Dear Neighbors:

I always receive e-mails regarding E-Harmony's Free Communication Weekends. This particular event lasts from today until August 1st, so I decided to update my profile and my pictures and take advantage of it. And yes, I figured it would be good blog fodder regardless.

The top of the page has an advertisement letting us know that "Cassondra and Jeff first met during a Free Communication Weekend". But no pressure, folks. During the survey, I was asked four times if I knew anyone who married as a result of E-Harmony. Once again, no pressure.


The first thing I noticed was that out of the 6 matches provided to me, 3 were geographically undesirable in spite of my preference that matches live within 30 miles of me.

Next, unpaid members cannot see pictures. We're expected to try to communicate based on a very vague description.

This suggestion appeared on my matches page:
First Date Jitters?
Visit the Date Planner for movie picks and our city-by-city dating guides!
Plan the perfect date with eHarmony >>


First of all, who goes to a movie on a first date? I make a point of mentioning on my profile that I consider the movies to be a perfect non-date. It's a good alternative if one meets a "match" and discovers that they're really not a match after all. The idiots at E-Harmony must all be married if they think that going to the movies is a good way to get to know another person.

I communicated with 6 matches, regardless of whether the profiles interested me. I'll keep you updated...

D

No comments:

Post a Comment