Dear Neighbors:
If you've read my blog for any length of time, you should be well aware that I am intent upon having a baby while I still can. Originally, I planned to do it by the time I was 35, but then there was the layoff, health problems, more layoffs, etc...and I didn't want to bring a child into the world unless I was healthy and employed with health insurance.
I'm starting my third year at the same school and my experiences there have been absolutely wonderful. I feel a part of a community for the first time in a long time, I have good friends, and I feel very secure in my city and at my job. Imagine that -- me, stable!
It's time for me to fulfill my desire to become a mother. I'll be 41 next month and obviously I can't wait much longer. At one time, I had a friend who offered to donate his best swimmers for the cause, but that is no longer an option. As such, the only thing I'm missing in this motherhood equation is...to put it bluntly...the sperm. It would be nice to find a friend who could donate it to me, but that doesn't seem possible right now. My plan is to go through a sperm bank and pick out the best little swimmers possible. Christine located one for me and this is the website: Pacific Reproductive Services As they're a lesbian-owned sperm bank, I'm figuring they'll have a better understanding of a woman's quest for motherhood even when a man isn't in the picture. Maybe a nice one will come along eventually, but I can't wait around for him.
The cost, of course, is an issue. If I were infertile, my insurance would cover at least one round of IVF. Since I'm a perfectly healthy woman, I'm on my own here. Literally and figuratively. I don't often ask for help and I've never solicited gifts of any kind for any occasion. I haven't been married, so there has never been a bridal shower, wedding gifts, anniversary gifts and the like. It's just me and I've done what I can with what I have and the help my family has so generously given me when things were at their worst.
This is where I come to the point of today's blog. I'm asking you, my loyal readers, to donate to the cause. Even if it's $1, any amount would be a big help in covering this most important expense. I'm prepared to raise a child, but I never thought I would have to pay to conceive one. If you can help me out, please click on the "donate" link to offer whatever you can afford. I promise I'll keep you up to date on my progress. And if you happen to know a nice man who wouldn't mind offering up some of his own DNA, send him my way.
Even if you can't help out, I'll still write more blogs. I'm your neighbor, after all.
Help?
D
No comments:
Post a Comment