Dear Neighbors:
Sometimes it's hard not to brag that I've finally hit the lottery when it comes to my job. Lately, I have seen so many things from my students that make me so proud that I stuck it out when my job prospects were at their worst. There were times that I thought I should quit because I didn't want to be one of those bad teachers that give everyone a bad name. You know, good intentions but bad execution. My experiences in teaching fifth grade have taught me that I'm in the right place. I know this because I always worry about losing my job. I couldn't imagine going to back to a rowdy, technologically-anemic classroom. My students have the best of everything, including teachers. We have all manner of crazy thrown our way each day from a number of different directions. But we move on, even if it feels as though we're encountering the same problems day after day. Who doesn't?
The best thing about teaching is that the program ensures we make contacts before we finish the credential program. It doesn't guarantee a job, but it does allow teachers a sneak preview of different school districts. When I completed my volunteer hours, I did so in three different school districts in order to get a feel for each one. A bad fit is a career-killer for a teacher. In order to teach in the public school system, an experienced teacher must have the recommendation of the former principal. Without that, time to retrain. It's not as easy to keep teaching as some might think.
My students have the privilege of having parents who can afford to spend time in the classroom. I have parents who regularly come in and complete all manner of paperwork for me in record time --- perfectly. At the same time, they're a positive influence on their children. Those students are the most well-behaved we have. Most of the time. No one's perfect. Hobbled as I am now, these parents often save my behind when it comes to copying or carrying my lunch to the microwave (seriously). It's nice to have a close relationship with the families.
Today, a student had a tragedy -- his dog died. It happened just this morning, but he still insisted on coming to school. I let him know that he could walk out at anytime and that I was thinking about him, and he ended up not only staying the entire day, but taking the time at lunch to catch up on missing work. I'm glad he's playing the main role in our iMovie about the book The Phantom Tollbooth, which my students loved. We began filming this morning with the help of some sixth grade kids. This student is playing the main character, Milo. As for our sixth grade helpers, they were incredible! The way they already know how to get the best picture and create backgrounds with clipart and a green screen was impressive. I hope we're able to recreate their magic when we continue tomorrow.
As happy as I am, I'm sad for a friend of mine, whose job has had ups and downs at a time that my own career finally settled. She was teaching second grade and doing well when she was transferred back to the junior high where we met in 2004. She's trying to make the best of it, but it's been a nightmare. The latest incident involves a prank her students have been playing on her. She has white-out all over her clothes and her seat covers in the car. Sometimes, students need to be taught limits, and swiftly. They have so much more freedom now than I ever did. In previous jobs, if a student suggested that I fuck off, it wasn't worth reporting. An administrator would pretend to take it seriously all the while giving me the "why are you wasting my time with this?" message. We've learned to put up with a great deal before we start making complaints.
The only thing I miss about that other school where my friend now languishes is the gradebook program. It was fantastic. Unlike the one I have now, which requires way too much effort on my part. Then again, the other program spoiled me. It had a reports section which would send a letter to all of the parents -- kind of like mail merge but with more options. I loved it. The program I use now has great features, but I need more options. Mail merge, baby. Mail merge.
That was entirely more random than I intended. I apologize for the sound of crickets coming from this blog; I don't want to force it when I'm not inspired. But don't worry. Spring is coming.
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood,
(damn, as soon as I typed that my neighbor started blasting my least favorite station. Now I have to close the window. And it was such a nice day. Wait -- still is.)
No comments:
Post a Comment