Dear Neighbors:
I posted this the first time and realized that the font was small. Really small. "Where did my vision go and when did it run away?" small. From now on, I will be using the large font.
If I were to poll my coupled friends on how they met, many would reply that they were set up through friends. Setting up a single friend is one of the nicest things you can do. Not only are you the first line of defense in the screening process ("Sorry, I really didn't know he had a prison record"), but you're saving your friends hours of hard work. Since I don't want all of your hard work to go to waste, you should probably ask yourself these questions:
1. Would you _____ him?
I'm sure everyone has different standards of what goes on during the dating process, so I'm just going to leave that one blank. But seriously, would you? If you wouldn't, reconsider setting him up with me. It may just be that he has something in common with me that he doesn't with you and that's fine. But if the reason involves the phrase, "Oh, hell no!" you probably don't want to pawn him off on your friends.
2. Have you ________ him?
If you have, be very careful in setting him up with me. The first time he compares the way I _____ with the way you _______, I'm outta there.
3. What kind of women do you usually see him with?
We all have a "type", whether we admit it or not. If his type is petite and effervescent, you probably don't want to set him up with me. He might be willing to try something different; in that case, I appreciate the help. But ask him first. For that matter, ask me first. It's a nice thing you're doing, but why waste our time if he doesn't like snarky bloggers and I don't like bass fishing?
4. Do I know him well enough to recommend him to a friend?
Unless you tell me otherwise, I'm assuming that SetUp Guy has been completely vetted by your trained staff of private investigators. Seriously, I just assume you know something about him in addition to his name and cell number. The prison record and the likelihood of his return to said prison might keep me from wanting to date him...right now. Would you mind asking him a few questions first? Some people see "divorced" and "separated" as being the same thing. I however, see it as, "available" and "keep the hell away on threat of crazy". Just ask.
It's Sunday and I have to get moving if I want to hit that Lakers party this evening (see, I'm getting out two weekends in a row), so I'll leave you with one last question:
5. Who's really getting the favor here?
If the favor of the set up is more for one of us than the other, it's likely a bad idea. You'll know that this is happening because you'll tell one of us and not the other, "Just do me this favor". If you find yourself saying that, cancel plans immediately!!! I may be single. I may be tired of being single. But when you set me up with someone, I'm assuming it's because you think we might hit it off, not because one of us hasn't dated for a while and this will get him/her back into it. Or he's a great guy except for that little case of herpes that really only flares up every once in a while thanks to his new prescription or he's separated, he's definitely going to divorce his wife and you really should meet him before someone else snatches him up. That's not a favor for anyone.
Coupled friends: keep up the good work and may your matchmaking be successful!
D
No comments:
Post a Comment