Dear Neighbors:
I can't wait for the new Sex & The City movie and I hope you can't either. In honor of the only show I've ever seen that portrayed dating so realistically, I would like to offer the Episodes That Made Me Stop And Say, "I've Been There!!!!".
(thanks to IMDB for their list of episodes.)
Season 1, Ep 12 "Oh Come All Ye Faithful"
If a man won't introduce you to his family, you're not his girlfriend. Carrie learned this the hard way when Big went out of his way to avoid introducing her to his mother. Sure, she may have forced the issue, but he made it clear that meeting Mom wasn't an option. After this episode, I started looking at relationships an entirely different way and asking different questions. I know now that if a man won't introduce me to his family or his friends, he's not in it for the long haul and he's not the least bit excited about me.
Season 2, Ep 7 "The Chicken Dance"
Miranda had a long-term friendship/flirtation with a man who was moving back to the U.S. and with whom she hoped to start something romantic. That is, until her friend met her decorator and it was the -- try not to choke -- love at first sight moment we all dread when it's not happening to us. All of Miranda's hopes were dashed when the friend and the decorator immediately announced their engagement. That stuff always and only happens to other people, and like Miranda, I've become bitter. I'd love to be happy for my friends who are getting everything they want, but I'm just not there yet. Every time a friend gets engaged, the happiness for my friend turns into concern about getting away from the bouquet toss at the wedding. There's nothing worse than being the old maid in a crowd of hopeful young girls. The best part of this episode for me was when the blushing bride excitedly threw her bouquet, only to have it land on the floor because no one was interested. Maybe it's time to say goodnight to that tradition.
Season 2, Ep 18 "Ex and the City"
Big returns from Paris with a young girlfriend and Carrie is shocked and upset. Even so, she tries to become friends with Big. When he announces that he and the girlie are engaged, Carrie throws a fit in a nice restaurant. Who can blame her for being frustrated? Big told her he didn't want to settle down at all, when the truth was that he didn't want to settle down with her. I believe this was the "Why not me?" episode. Why not me, indeed? I asked that question once as well. I was told that it wasn't me because I was too independent, I didn't cry enough, and I wouldn't lay with my head on his chest. It was so bony I could feel his heart beating through it and the racket kept me awake. So, there.
Season 3, Ep 2 "Politically Erect"
Carrie has a relationship with a politician who enjoys a little....golden...in his shower. Laugh all you want, but haven't we all had bizarre requests such as that? Carrie found out that it was more of a lifestyle than a fetish and it was non-negotiable. Another reason why I think sex before marriage should not only be encouraged, but mandatory! That's something one should find out before shelling out the big bucks for the dress, the party, and the pictures.
Part II to follow later. What are your favorite episodes?
D
No comments:
Post a Comment