I grew up in the city of Moreno Valley, which used to encompass the areas of Sunnymead, Moreno, and Edgemont. In 1984, the decision was made to incorporate the whole thing and give it one name. Still, no one had any idea where it was. For years, telling anyone that I was from Moreno Valley was always accompanied by a verbal map. Moreno Valley is part of the Inland Empire, whose reputation is less than stellar. People associate us with white trash, crystal meth, and now, Rodney King's latest arrest.
![]() |
| Map of the Inland Empire |
I'm not saying they're entirely wrong. What I am saying is that there is much more to the area than you might realize.
Reasons to Intentionally Come To The I.E. (rather than passing through):
1. The Mission Inn -- Riverside
![]() |
| The Mission Inn -- downtown Riverside, CA |
The Mission Inn was built in 1876. It started out as a guest house and has been built into a breathtaking gem of downtown Riverside. It's a hotel and a spa, as well as a popular site for weddings. I've been to a few -- the wedding planners are very efficient and the chapels and ballrooms exquisite. It was certainly good enough for the Reagans, the Nixons and Bette Davis. It's also the site of a four-diamond restaurant and a weekly champagne brunch. On Thanksgiving, the Inn is lit for Christmas and the view is breathtaking. Don't take my word for it, see for yourself: The Mission Inn
2. Good Food
When I was a kid, my dad took me to the Dragon House for the first time. It was around the corner from where we lived and from the outside, seemed like an ordinary restaurant. Once we entered, I knew I was in for a treat. The first thing I saw was a wall covered by signed pictures of celebrities, all who apparently enjoyed their meals immensely. I don't remember what we ate, but I do remember that it was just my dad and me, and it was "our" thing. Their sweet and sour chicken is wonderful, and everything on the menu is a cut above your average Chinese food. There is also a location in Riverside.
![]() |
| Most I.E. residents can tell you great things about Joe's. |
As a family, we would often go to Joe's Italian Restaurant. It was originally located in a shopping center on Alessandro Boulevard and the place was so tiny it would take forever to get inside. Later, it moved down the street to the location you see here (not that far from the Dragon House, in fact). We always ordered pizza; my parents would order other dishes. Later, I experimented with ravioli, lasagna, and my favorites, meatball or steak sandwiches. It seemed that everyone there knew my dad; after he died, my mom and I made a point of going there in his memory. Today, I'm forced to eat gluten-free and I've yet to check with them on any GF menu items. Joe's Italian -- Moreno Valley
3. Higher Education
Among other schools, the I.E. is home to the University of California, Riverside; The University of Redlands; Loma Linda University, and Cal State, San Bernardino.
![]() | ||
| Cal State San Bernardino |
What's the benefit of going to school in the I.E.? Cheaper off-campus housing, for one. These schools offer a variety of prestigious degree programs from a bachelor's all the way to a Ph.D. Loma Linda has a fantastic reputation for its medical center, and CSUSB's teaching credential program is not only economical, but has turned out some great teachers (including me!). If you're not ready to pay the costs of earning a 4-year degree, you can attend Riverside Community College. While you explore your options, you can learn a trade or pursue an automatic transfer to a 4-year school.
4. Oranges
I can't remember the last time I bought oranges in a grocery store. As a kid, my family would drive to The Gless Ranch in Riverside, CA. Just in front of a huge orange grove is an old-fashioned fruit stand where you can get a bag like this for a reasonable price: Fresh Oranges
5. Skydiving
Perris, California is just beyond Moreno Valley and is well-known for its skydiving facilities. Locals who want to try it for the first time are more likely to head to Perris than anyplace else. Because of its proximity to Los Angeles (about an hour's drive), television hosts who want to incorporate the sport will often film in one of Perris' many locations. The movie 'The Bucket List", starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, filmed its own skydiving scenes in Perris. If you'd like to try it, you can explore your options here: Skydive Perris
6. Riverside National Cemetery
I know, seems a big morbid, but just down the street from the Gless Ranch is the cemetery that is home to our country's veterans after their deaths. It's a large cemetery with special memorials for Medal of Honor recipients, fallen soldiers, and prisoners of war/MIA. It's a beautiful site, so much that one can forget its purpose. Especially when being encountered by ducks who will leave their ponds in search of visitors with bread crumbs. Christine's dad was buried here, and my dad was interred after his death in 1989.
![]() | |
| I found this on the website -- I had no idea there was a picture. |
Every Memorial Day, RNC hosts a tribute to the veterans, which include everything from flyovers, music, and a roll call of the veterans who have been buried/interred here. Riverside National Cemetery
7. NASCAR
I have to admit I don't get the whole NASCAR thing. It seemed cool when I was a kid, but now it just seems like a bunch of people driving around in circles...forever. In addition to those races, the Speedway in Fontana offers a race car driving school, races for the owners of $500 cars, and an assortment of other opportunities for auto enthusiasts. Need For Speed?
8. Movies
Did you know that the following movies were filmed, at least in part, in the Inland Empire?
Independence Day
A League of Their Own
The Bucket List
Iron Man
Mission Impossible III
Red Eye
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Meet The Fockers
The Italian Job
The Fast & The Furious
Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. The Inland Empire is so much more than you might think.
Proud to Be From MoVal,
D







Good work
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jenn! I don't like hearing so many negative things about the I.E. when there are the coolest places to eat and have fun. As you can see, many of them involve good memories of my dad.
ReplyDelete