Dear Neighbors:
Yesterday, I finally saw the movie "127 Hours" with James Franco. What a fantastic movie!
When I got to the theater, there was only one person inside. Her husband had gone to report to the management that it was freezing in there. We chatted for a few minutes about what we'd heard and seen about the movie and she asked if I was alone. She told me that her husband didn't believe that she went to the movies by herself when she was single. We both agreed that a good movie was worth seeing alone. But more on that later.
As much as I liked "Pineapple Express", it was wonderful to see Franco in a film like this. I was riveted right away. Knowing what was going to happen, I kept thinking that any second he was going to fall. By the time I left the theater, my neck was sore from being so tense! The sign of a great film. If you haven't seen it already, go see it. You'll love it. If you're not in the U.S., you have some time.
This was the perfect movie for the single woman. The main character spends most of the movie alone, though there are flashbacks to different parts of his life. The point of the story is that he has to save himself without any help from anyone else -- the main point of the story isn't for him to reconnect with a lost love or to rush to the altar before...aren't you tired of that? Yes, it does get a little gross, but by the time it happens, you'll be ready for it. I promise.
I don't go to the movies very often anymore. They've gotten very expensive, first of all. And if I'm paying that much money, I'd like some peace and quiet in the theater. I want people to shut off their cell phones and put them away for the duration of the movie. I want them to stop talking, stop kicking my seat, and come to the movie on time for a change. Needless to say, I stay away from movie theaters unless there's something I just don't want to miss. Before this movie, I saw "Resident Evil: Afterlife 3-D". Once again, totally worth it. I didn't mind the chatter so much because it was an action movie and the dialogue was kind of stupid, anyway.
Occasionally, I see movies with my friends. I reserve the chick flicks and the bizarre independent film that no one else wants to see for my BFF Laura. I think we've seen every Katherine Heigl movie in existence together. We also saw "Slumdog Millionaire". We were so close to the front that my neck hurt in that one as well. Once again, totally worth it. "Sex & The City" is a must for a girl's night out. I saw it with a group of women and a couple of fabulous gay men. They had seen it the night before and were still excited about seeing it again. My brother John and my nephew Derek and I saw "The Last Airbender". I enjoyed it, though the hardcore fans were not impressed. My nephew loved it, and that's what was important to me.
But a really good movie...those are best watched alone. Yesterday, I didn't want to listen to my friends chatter away and ask silly questions meant to make me laugh when really, I was enveloped in the character's plight. My sister has the best one liners during movies, but I don't always want to be distracted that way. So one of the benefits to being single is being able to see a really good movie alone and not have to apologize for it.
In need of a neck rub,
I love going to the theater alone, with a blanket :)
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought about bringing a blanket. That's a great idea.
ReplyDelete