Monday, November 1, 2010

The Final Frontier

Dear Neighbors:

I used to wonder why one "fell" in love, and why falling was a good thing. Falling is never a good thing. Falling means losing control of oneself, hitting the ground in a way that's never flattering, and feeling the bumps and bruises as a reminder. The same is true with love. Sure, it feels good at first, but when it's over, it takes one much farther down than where one started. I may have been 2 feet in the hole at the beginning, but afterwards, I get to climb up an extra ten feet. That's love, folks. How utterly delightful.

Have you noticed that when you're dating and you have your Dealbreakers, being in love is never one of them? That's because one always assumes that the love will just happen; that if it doesn't happen, the relationship is over. What if love wasn't a Dealbreaker? Why is it important?

I've gone 40 years without anyone falling in love with me. 40 years of non-reciprocation sends a clear message:

Dear Doro:

Sorry, none for you.

Regards,
Love

From now on, love is no longer a Dealbreaker. If I can stand someone enough to want to spend lots and lots of time with him and he feels the same about me, the love thing just isn't important. It's not as though I'd miss it if it never happened. It's more like those people who win the lottery. Yay for them, but really, I don't expect to win the lottery. It's not even a realistic expectation.

Much like love.

D

No comments:

Post a Comment