Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Tribute to That Special Feeling, AKA: The Reason The Up Is Worth The Down

Dear Neighbors:

I can't help but notice that many of my Facebook friends are currently in love. Usually, I'd take this prime opportunity to say something entirely sarcastic. And maybe a little bitchy. After spending a wonderful day with my family, however, I'm more inclined to give them a little white girl shout out. There's nothing cuter than running errands and finding out I needed to hurry up because my 4 year-old nephew was practicing singing "Happy Birthday" to me. So here's what I remember about being in love:

1. The High: There's that initial "I'm in love!" high that's so fantastic that we never feel that way at any other time. All other accomplishments, regardless of what they are, never compare. There was a time recently that I felt that way. Every morning, I would wake up and think about him...I would think about the phone calls we'd have, that I knew he was thinking about me. Sigh. I don't think I've ever worked the same hours as anyone I've dated. But it's nice when he's worth losing sleep over, right?

2. The Anticipation: Being in love is being in a state of constant anticipation. When will I see him? When will I see him again? When is the next time we'll kiss, and will I appear desperate if I kiss him even before saying "hi"? Where will it all lead, because when we're in love, there's no downside. It's never going to end and we're not going to break up. My first real romance started as friends for the first year. From there, we took five months to become lovers, and that was the most thrilling sense of anticipation I've ever had. I never tired of seeing him.

3. The Out-Ing: This is when you get to tell everyone how you feel about each other. There's the letting him drive my car, holding hands as soon as we get out, and introducing him as "my boyfriend". Ahhh, that's the best. Especially when it's me trying to keep my boyfriend's hands off of me in public instead of averting my eyes while my friends wrestle. I'm sure Christine can recall a certain someone who was getting pretty frisky in her living room...while we were all watching "Hannibal". She came right out and told my boyfriend to keep his hands in view at all times. He tried. Really.

4. The Being Comfortable: I love being able to hang out with someone I like without worrying about how I look, whether I have too much makeup on or not enough, or whether snoring is a deal-breaker. I like being able to go out with my friends without worrying that he'll take it as a sign of disinterest. After all, this is the goal -- getting past the getting-to-know-you awkardness and to the really-getting-to-know-you...as a friend often says...intimacy.

This one's for Nikki and E.J.: Love on, freethinkers!

D

1 comment:

  1. I sooo do remember that- you and he were more entertaining than the movie LOL

    ReplyDelete