Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I'm A Teacher --It's Not About Luck

Dear Neighbors:

I need to take a break from discussing my singlehood for a moment to mention a phrase I keep hearing in regard to my job as a teacher:

"You're lucky to have a job."

I have news for all teachers out there, especially those here in California. We're not lucky to have jobs -- the schools are lucky that we're still willing to work for them. I work at a FANTASTIC school in which everything the students and teachers need is provided, regardless of the time and sacrifice it takes to make that happen. Our leaders are progressive and they think so far outside of the box that the box might as well not exist. It certainly doesn't in my classroom.

But regular public schools don't have the basic requirements. They have teachers in overcrowded classrooms in which students disrupt class, behave abominably, refuse to do any work, and blame it all on -- you guessed it -- the teachers when they can't multiply or read simple sight words. What do our legislators do? They suggest merit pay. Merit pay is an insult to hard-working teachers. It shows just how little most people know about the business of education. And it is a business, folks. We require funding and we produce results.

I'm going to start a revolution. Spread the word. I've been in the worst schools and I have now experienced the best. Every teacher should have what I have and I am determined to make sure that happens.

The revolution is going to happen, starting with me. Wait for it.

D

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Dorothy! And . . .afterworking in the private sector, the non-profit world and 20 years as a teacher --- You are so right! Education is the political football, and politicians legislating education is like teachers legislating foreign policy/ Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete