Dear Neighbors:
I start this blog with a question:
What is it that makes life worth living?
I ask because, at the ripe old age of 42-going-on-43, I can't answer that question for myself. I find life tedious and utterly without purpose.
If I ask the question to a married, he or she of course will go on about love and commitment and trust, and something that sounds like the joy of finding a partner and being married to one's best friend (seriously -- you can't find another phrase?)...and then some blah blah blah.
Then I ask the question to a mommy or a daddy and I get the blah blah blah of looking at one's kid and blah blah blah seeing yourself in them and blah blah blah blah blah.
Lately I've spent time taking care of my mom, a house and a dog, and this has given me access to a wide variety of commercials.
Did you know that in commercials, almost everyone is a married or a mommy or a married or mommy to be? Seriously. Even the foot fungus and wart people have found a way to integrate their products with freaking weddings. I rarely see a commercial anymore that doesn't involve a wedding or a baby being born. This guy wants to lose weight so he can fit into a tux at his daughter's wedding; that mommy wants to lose the baby weight...It seems that if one isn't a married or a mommy, there isn't a single product being marketed our way.
When am I going to see the She Went To Jared To Buy Herself Some Fucking Jewelry Because There Wasn't Anyone Else to Fucking Buy It For Her and She Damn Well Deserves It commercial?
When will I see a single woman going to Lowe's or Home Depot because she's going to build something or fix something on her own without a husband or other male figure to do it for her?
When will I see a commercial for I'mFuckingSingle.com where we hear the phrase, "There's no one out there for me, so I'm retiring from this whole dating business..."?
The media is doing a great job of segregating the country into the marrieds and the marrieds not, the mommies, and the mommies not. If I were to boycott every company that had a mommy or married themed commercial, I'd have to manufacture my own soap, sew my own clothes from the fabric I made myself, and build a domicile from articles I found on the ground.
Fuck you, Jared.
Fuck you, Lowe's.
And a big Fuck You to that foot fungus product and the wart removal deal. I'd rather live with funky feet and nasty hands than buy into your discrimination.
Irritatingly Yours,
Doro
(PS: Don't take this too seriously. I just felt like going on a rant.)
No comments:
Post a Comment